In this blog, we will explore the fascinating world of pomegranate exports from India. Pomegranates are not only delicious but also offer great opportunities for international trade. We’ll cover everything you need to know about how to export pomegranate from India, from market opportunities to government subsidies to finding the best pomegranate suppliers to ship to international customers. If you are interested in the pomegranate business, then you are in the right place!
Why Choose Pomegranates for Exports
Have you ever wondered how a simple fruit can open doors to global opportunities? Let’s take a deeper look at why pomegranates are more than just a delicacy; They are a gateway to a thriving international export market.
Opportunity in pomegranate Export from India and Market Size
The global pomegranate market size, in 2023, is estimated to have a value of USD 248.4 million and is projected to reach USD 338.6 million by 2030, showing steady growth at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 5.3% throughout the forecast period.
In the fiscal year 2022-23, India exported approximately 62,280 tons of pomegranates, valued at USD 58.36 million, to various countries. These destinations included the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Bangladesh, Nepal, the Netherlands, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Bahrain, and Oman. Also, with emerging markets in Iraq and Dubai, the pomegranate export landscape is expanding further.
Government Benefits & Support
When it comes to exporting pomegranates, the Indian government offers a range of incentives to bolster and enhance your export business endeavors. These incentives can play a pivotal role in facilitating and promoting your pomegranate exports:
- Duty Drawback:
Exporting pomegranates not only broadens your market horizons but also comes with certain advantageous perks. You can avail a duty drawback of 0.15%, which is effortlessly credited to your account without additional procedural complexities. Moreover, a Customs House Agent (CHA) can be enlisted to streamline your shipping documentation, ensuring a smooth and hassle-free process.
- Remission of Duties and Taxes on Exports (RODTEP):
The Remission of Duties and Taxes on Exported Products (RODTEP) scheme presents a substantial advantage for pomegranate exporters. Under this scheme, you can benefit from either 2.50% of the export value or Rs 2.20 per kg, depending on the lesser amount. To illustrate, if you are exporting pomegranates worth Rs. 10,00,000, you could potentially gain a benefit of Rs 25,000 or Rs 2.20 per kg, whichever is lower.
- Interest Equalization Scheme on Pre & Post Shipment Export Credit:
While the "Interest Equalization Scheme" primarily targets manufacturers (not merchant exporters), its impact can be noteworthy. If you secure a loan at a 10% interest rate, the government will cover a significant 5% of that interest. This means you would only need to bear the remaining 5% interest, which can alleviate the financial strain associated with your pomegranate export endeavors.
- Transport and Marketing Assistance Benefits:
The "Transport and Marketing Assistance" (TMA) scheme extends its support to specific agricultural products, including pomegranates. Its primary aim is to facilitate the international shipping and marketing of agricultural goods. By mitigating the challenges posed by increased transportation costs for exporting specific agricultural items like pomegranates, this scheme addresses factors such as trans-shipment. Additionally, it strives to enhance the reputation of Indian agricultural products in international markets where the quality of Indian pomegranates is recognized and valued.
These government incentives can significantly benefit your pomegranate export business, providing financial relief and support to help you expand your market presence and succeed in international trade.
For a detailed breakdown of how the TMA scheme can support your efforts in exporting fresh pomegranates, please refer to the table format below.
|ITC-HS Code||Description||Region||Amount in Indian Rupees Per TEU (Normal)||Amount in Indian Rupees Per TEU (Reefer Container)||Amount in Indian Rupees by Air Amount per kg|
|08109010||Other fruits/ Pomegranates||Gulf||Rs. 12600||Rs. 21000||Rs. 1.40|
How to Source Pomegranates for Exports
If you are new to exporting pomegranates, don’t worry. There are many options to explore. Let’s explore the main areas where pomegranates are mainly grown and received.
Top States That Produce Export-Quality Pomegranates
|Sr No.||State||Indian Production of POMEGRANATE (2021-22) Tonnes||Share (%)|
1) Where to Find Pomegranates in Maharashtra
2) Where to Find Pomegranates in Gujarat
3) Where to Find Pomegranates in Karnataka
4) Where to Find Pomegranates in Andhra Pradesh
Procurement Options: Farmers, Mandis, and Pomegranate Vendors
When searching for pomegranates, you have several options to consider:
- Farmers: You can buy pomegranates directly from farmers who grow them. This is a great way to get fresh produce and establish a direct relationship with the growers.
- Mandis (Marketplaces): Mandis are local marketplaces that offer convenience and a chance to compare prices and quality from various sellers in one place.
- Pomegranate Vendors: Pomegranate vendors or wholesalers specialize in selling pomegranates. They can provide large quantities and may be a good choice for bulk purchases or a consistent supply.
Your decision depends on your specific needs, quality standards, and price negotiation abilities. Many businesses use a combination of these options to secure a dependable and cost-effective supply of pomegranates.
Types of Understanding Packaging for Pomegranates
It is crucial to package pomegranates correctly for preserving freshness during shipping. Understanding the proper assembly method is vital to ensure they arrive at their destination in optimal condition.
|Material of Construction||Corrugated Fibre Board||Corrugated Fibre Board|
|External Dimensions (mm)||400 x 200 x 105||400 x 200 x 105|
|Style of Box “RSC - 0201”||Telescopic - 0300||Telescopic - 0312|
|No. of Plies||3.0||Lid - 3 Tray - 3|
|Type of Flutes||Lid B (Narrow) Tray B / B(Narrow)||Lid B (Narrow) Tray B / B(Narrow)|
|Direction of Flutes||Vertical||Vertical|
|Grammage (g/m²)||Lid : 250/150/150 Tray : 250/150/150/||Lid : 250/150/150 Tray : 250/150/150/|
|Burst Factor of Paper (Kraft) (Minimum)||20.0||20.0|
|Bursting Strength of Board (Kg/cm²) (Minimum)||11.0||Lid : 11.0 Tray : 14.0|
|No. of Pieces per Box||Not more than two||Not more than two|
|Manufacturer's Joint||By gluing||By gluing|
|Compression Strength of Box (Kgf) (Minimum)||350||350|
|COBB (30 Minutes)*** (g/m²) (Maximum)||60||60|
|No. of Ventilation Holes||16.0||16.0|
|Diameter (mm) and Position of Holes||20.0||20.0|
|Two Sides Each||3||3|
|Two Ends Each||1||1|
|Top & Bottom Each||4||4|
|Edge Crush (Kgf) (Minimum)||34.00||34.00|
Note: The box dimensions are designed to fit Euro pallets, but we can also customize them to meet the specific requirements of importers. The indicated grammage serves as a guideline, but we can use other grammage options that offer the same strength and performance.
The diameter of the holes should be 20mm, and there should be 16 of them. However, if needed, we can provide additional ventilation based on the chosen box style.
Tips to Find the Best Supplier for Pomegranate Exports
Here's a simple tip to help you choose the best pomegranate suppliers for your exports: Focus on quality and reliability.
When it comes to sourcing pomegranates for export, there are various options available. You can consider pomegranate orchards (farms), wholesale fruit markets (mandis), or experienced fruit traders. However, the key factors to prioritize remain the same: the quality of the pomegranates and the trustworthiness of the supplier. Here's how you can adapt the advice for pomegranate exports:
- Quality Matters: Regardless of your choice of supplier, always prioritize the quality of the pomegranates. Look for suppliers who consistently provide high-quality pomegranates. This is essential to meet the stringent quality standards required for international exports.
- Dependability is Crucial: Trustworthiness is paramount in the export business. Ensure that the chosen supplier can be relied upon to deliver pomegranates consistently and on time. Reliability in terms of shipments is critical for maintaining a good reputation in the export market.
- Consider Multiple Suppliers: It might be a wise strategy to work with multiple suppliers. This diversification can help you maintain a steady and uninterrupted supply of top-quality pomegranates for your export operations. It also provides a backup plan in case one supplier faces any issues.
Setting Up Logistics for Pomegranate Exports
Choosing the right freight forwarder is a crucial step when shipping perishable goods like pomegranates. Here's a straightforward guide to help you find the perfect partner:
- Expertise in Perishables: Opt for a freight forwarder experienced in handling delicate products such as fruits. Their know-how ensures your pomegranates stay fresh and in excellent condition during transportation.
- Efficient Team: Select a forwarder with a competent team dedicated to ensuring timely shipments and smooth logistics for your pomegranate orders.
- Customer-Focused Approach: Look for a forwarder that prioritizes your requirements. They should provide valuable insights and help you navigate the complexities of the shipping process.
- Prompt Quotes and Outstanding Service: Seek a forwarder that offers quick, accurate pricing and delivers exceptional service, ensuring the safe transport of your pomegranates.
- Positive Reputation: Choose a forwarder with a track record of positive customer feedback, indicating their reliability and credibility.
At Citrus Freight, we specialize in perishable logistics and have a skilled team, rapid quoting, and a history of satisfied customers to enhance your pomegranate export busines
Essential Documents for Pomegranate Export
Exporting pomegranates from India involves various documents to comply with international trade regulations and ensure a smooth export process. Here are the essential documents required for pomegranate exports:
- Business Registration Documents: These include your company's registration certificate, memorandum of association, and articles of association.
- Importer-Exporter Code (IEC): Obtain an IEC from the Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) in India.
- Tax Registration: Register for Goods and Services Tax (GST) with the appropriate authorities.
- Phytosanitary Certificate: A phytosanitary certificate is issued by the Plant Quarantine Department; this certificate verifies that your pomegranates comply with the importing country's plant health regulations.
- Certificate of Origin: The Certificate of Origin confirms the origin of your pomegranates and is typically issued by chambers of commerce.
- APEDA/ RCMC (Registration Cum Membership Certificate): Issued by Indian Export Promotion Councils or Commodity Boards, this certificate serves as evidence of your exporter’s registration with a designated council or board. It's crucial for accessing various export benefits, incentives, and schemes offered by the Indian government.
- Commercial Invoice: A detailed invoice outlining the product, quantity, price, terms, and other relevant information.
- Packing List: Provides a breakdown of the contents and packaging details of each pomegranate shipment.
- Bill of Lading: The Bill of Lading is issued by the shipping line; it serves as a receipt and contract of carriage for your pomegranates.
- Testing Report: This may be required by certain markets to ensure your pomegranates meet specific quality and safety standards.
- Insurance Certificate: Proof of insurance coverage for the shipment in case of loss or damage.
- Letter of Credit (if applicable): A financial document ensuring payment to the exporter from the importer's bank.
- Customs Declaration: Required for the accurate assessment of duties and taxes.
- Export Inspection Agency (EIA) Certification (if applicable): Ensures your pomegranates meet quality standards set by the importing country.
- Transportation Document: This could be a waybill or other documents that provide details about the movement of pomegranates.
Additional Documents: Depending on the destination country, you may need additional certifications, licenses, or permits as per their specific regulations.
Finding International Buyers for Pomegranates
To grow your pomegranate export business, you need to find international buyers. This simple strategy opens up new markets and opportunities for success.
Top Importing Countries for Pomegranates from India
- Saudi Arabia
How to Find an International Buyer for Pomegranates
To discover international buyers for your pomegranate export, a well-thought-out approach is essential. This involves conducting market research, establishing industry connections, participating in trade events, and leveraging online platforms. Identifying potential buyers who share your product and quality standards is the initial and critical step in this process.
Pro Tips for Finding a Pomegranate Buyer in the International Market
Enhance your search for buyers with effective marketing and promotional strategies. Here are three straightforward steps to consider:
Invest in SEO: Increase your online visibility in the global market by investing in search engine optimization (SEO) to ensure potential buyers can easily find your pomegranate offerings.
Build a Strong Brand: Prioritize the creation of a strong brand presence right from the start. Invest in social media marketing to establish a robust online identity that resonates with international buyers.
Leverage CHAs (Customs House Agents): CHAs often have extensive buyer networks. Don't hesitate to request referrals from them to connect with potential pomegranate buyers.
Exporting pomegranates offers significant opportunities to meet global market demand. Armed with a comprehensive understanding of the advantages, sourcing strategies, logistics, and buyer connections, exporters can navigate this venture successfully.
Citrus Freight is committed to offering fruit and vegetable exporters exclusive pricing directly from shipping lines. This dedication helps you save costs and ensures the efficient execution of your pomegranate shipments. We understand the significance of cost-efficiency in your export efforts and strive to provide services that support your financial goals while delivering top-notch logistics solutions. You can view competitive ocean freight rates from various shipping lines for your container shipping needs.